Sunday, November 28, 2010

Drawing Final - Week 1

So after studying Hans Holbein's "The Ambassadors," I decided to google search art from the Renaissance to see more works form the same time period.  The first work that caught my eye was Jan Van Eyck's "Arnolfini Marriage" as shown here:
I vaguely remember learning about this piece in my drawing and painting class in high school.  The one thing that stands out the most to me is the mirror in the background.  I think it's interesting how even though there are two figures in the foreground of the painting, they are not necessarily the main focus of the piece -- the mirror is.  I searched this painting on wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnolfini_Portrait ) for some general information about it and found that this painting is often referenced for its "immaculate non-Euclidean geometry" due to the image that is drawn on the convex mirror.  Also, there is a lot of symbolism in this piece, through the dog, the mirror, the chandelier, the green dress, etc.  I really like the whole idea of this painting and the composition.  I like how the two figures and the chandelier frame the mirror in the background, the symbolism, and how the painting tells a story.
This is all I have found so far but I am going to use this painting as another reference point to lead me in my direction.  I am thinking that I am going to do a composition similar to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment